- Hanning, Chuck; Bickham, Scott (2015). BJCP Beer Exam Study Guide. Yeast and Fermentation
- Palmer, John (2006). How to Brew. Pages 61-78. Boulder, CO: Brewers Publications. Note: If you have a different revision the reading is equivalent to Chapter 6.)
- Palmer, John (2006). How to Brew. Pages 85-108. Boulder, CO: Brewers Publications. Note: If you have a different revision the reading is equivalent to Chapter 8-10.)
- White, Chris; Zainasheff, Jamil (2010). Yeast – The Practical Guide To Fermentation. Brewers Publications.
- Strong, Gordon (2011). Brewing Better Beer. Pages 127-137. Brewers Publications.
- Daniels, Ray (1996). Designing Great Beers. Chapter 12. Brewers Publications.
The objective of this course should be a thorough understanding of yeast and the fermentation process. Various strains, dry vs. liquid, Lagers vs. Ales, bacteria, pitching rates, starters, stages of fermentation, attenuation, alcohol tolerance, temperature tolerance, flocculation, flavor / aroma profile, by-products, and association with different beer styles should be items slated for discussion.